Reading for 4/1/08 and Some Final Project Stuff

March 31st, 2008

I’ve got to say, by the end of the story, I wasn’t sure what to think of the Kimonians’ intent.  Which one of Bishop’s perceptions of his fate was correct? Were any of them? By the end of the reading, I was getting this sort of weird, paranoid feeling about the whole thing . . .

Can Bishop actually progress past the kindergarten level he’s at now? Can a human brain actually go that far? Or will it explode? And if he can, what’s in store for him on Kimon? What life are they planning for those who “make the grade?”

To totally switch gears, I strangely found the cabinet to be my favorite character. I wanted to trust it, but was afraid to. Which I guess is a level of personifying technology that one doesn’t ordinarily see outside of robots in films. But as we’ve read in class, computers can be friendly and personal. (Or in Google’s case, pretend to be.) I think it was the level of interaction the cabinet had with Bishop, however, that truly made it seem like a character rather than furniture or just a machine. Maybe I liked it more because it didn’t look like a person, so there was none of that pretending-to-be-something-you’re-not Uncanny Valley stuff to deal with.

Most of all, I’ve got to say that I really don’t want the blanket statements made in the story about the human race to be true. I want to think we can put information and progress before pride.

And now, to change topics entirely, my final projects on webcomics seems to be going fairly well. (Thank you to everyone who’s bookmarked their favorites on del.icio.us–I’ve been fairly successful tracking down the really early webcomics from the ’90’s, but now in ’00’s, there’s been such an explosion that it’s harder to sift through. Still, I’ve turned up some interesting stuff, I think.)  One of the problems, though, is the lack of real concrete information/writing on the form.  There’s a lot on comics in general, but I haven’t really found any good articles or anything on specifically webcomics. I’m using some of the more general info on the comic form, but I really hope I can find some on specifically webcomics or comics and new media.

Dessine-moi un mouton!
    Quand on veut un mouton, c'est la preuve qu'on existe.