[insert witty subject line about video games]

April 8th, 2008

I’m not sure why I’m blogging so late at night, so I apologize for any incoherence. (Actually, it’s because I’ve been busy knitting a skirt out of plastic bags. Which, yes, is for an actual grade in an actual class.)

Anyway, I was (as some others have done) going to talk a bit about how I feel about video games. Or how I felt, and then ended up questioning that feeling after the reading.

I really have never been much of a video game person, honestly. My favorite video game is eighteen-wheeler truck racing. I’ve never gotten farther than level two on anything. So, clearly, not a huge gamer. And since I grew up in a house that didn’t have them until my brother bought a Gamecube a few years ago, I grew up feeling that there were so many more interesting things to do with your time. Like others in our class, I advocate going outside, interacting on a non-virtual level, etc, etc, but then the reading gave me the idea of video games as, well, interactive literature, to simplify and summarize. And now what am I supposed to think? I advocate interaction. I advocate losing yourself in a book. Or a movie, because, honestly, I can lose myself in “Casablanca” every time I watch it, as cliched as that may sound. So how can I really argue against losing yourself in an interactive film?

Maybe it’s the high-score, beat-the-level aspect, which triggers an addictive/competitive thing that still makes me a bit leery. Maybe it’s the fact that a game takes so much longer than a movie. Maybe it’s the kids who lose sleep or the people who shell out large amounts of money the second a new game or a new system comes out.

Or maybe it’s just sour grapes, because, after all, I’m the person who can never get past the second level.

Dessine-moi un mouton!
    Quand on veut un mouton, c'est la preuve qu'on existe.