Some Musings on Music

March 3rd, 2008

This is sort of one of those Trying-to-Figure-Out-What-I’m-Saying-as-I-Type posts, I’m afraid . . .

I was thinking about pandora.com and other such sites, and wondering: If and when they become the norm rather than traditional radio stations, what will become of radio and music broadcasting as a medium? Will your ability to craft custom stations free of commercials and other breaks eventually lead to radio DJs becoming obsolete? If not, then what role will the play as music broadcasting moves to a more individual activity? Instead of calling in to my local classic rock station, for example, and requesting “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida” by Iron Butterfly and just crossing my fingers that they’ll play it, I can find any of probably a dozen places on the internet where I can listen to it without having to wait through a commercial break or two and probably a couple Elton John songs to see if they even play it.

Okay, so they wouldn’t play “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida” anyway; it’s over seventeen minutes long. But I happen to be listening to it at the moment. Maybe “Fortunate Son” by CCR would’ve been a better example. (Except if you were the Dude, you’d have all your Creedence on tape already.)

But what effect does having music and music trivia and all of the services normally available from a radio station available on the internet have on the various music broadcasting media? (Wow. That was confusing.) Will local radio stations try to become as customizable as pandora.com? Will pandora.com try to become as personable as local radio? Which is more important–the personableness of real people or the customizableness of software? (Although I’m fairly certain “customizableness” isn’t a word.)

I don’t think anyone said they were using pandora in their final project, so I’m not sure this is actually helpful, but it was something I was thinking about . . .

(Oh, and are my posts actually showing up on the class blog page for everyone? Because last I checked, the last few I made weren’t for me.)

3 Responses to “Some Musings on Music”

1. Some Musings on Music-Download Music on March 3, 2008 9:09 pm

[…] Moe Foster wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptIf not, then what role will the play as music broadcasting moves to a more individual activity? Instead of calling in to my local classic rock station, for example, and requesting “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida” by Iron Butterfly and just crossing … […]

2. Dr. C. on March 4, 2008 6:28 am

Great post. I wonder all these things too, actually.

Not sure why you’re not showing up on the class blog page. I need to do some tinkering over break. Stay tuned. 🙂

3. reverend on March 4, 2008 8:41 am

I checked it out because I have nothing better to do 🙂 I think you’re in there now Alyssa.

Dessine-moi un mouton!
    Quand on veut un mouton, c'est la preuve qu'on existe.